Cheque Presentation

Cheque Presentation
Presenting the Cheque to Catherine Sheard and Sarah Canniford at Great Ormond Street Hospital

Thursday 30 May 2013

Rolling, rolling, rolling

Matt Ball

Training for  a 1600 mile cycle tour can seem quite daunting, when you have to fit it around your work, your families, friends and of course, the dreaded weather.

The three of us do not live locally and so, other than a few training weekends, our training has been done alone – this is good preparation for the trip though, it can only be easier together.

During my training, I have travelled just under 2000 miles – sounds a long way, except this has taken place over months and the tour is 21 days covering 1600 miles in one go.  The winter has been awful for training so I have braved the weather, mostly training travelling to and around Windsor Great Park from my home in Camberley, and then when the weather got too bad, I resorted to a ‘rolling road’ in my dining room . 

The ‘rolling road’ became a bit of a party piece – providing hilarity for all who watched and even for the brave who tried.  For those of you who haven’t tried it, it is definitely a piece of equipment where practise makes perfect – or rather saves lives !  I started my practise by positioning the ‘rolling road’ in the doorframe – that way, at least if I fell off it wasn’t too far to the doorframe, as opposed to the floor.



Initially I had visions of being able to while away the miles on the ‘rolling road’, listening to music, watching TV but it very quickly became apparent that 100% concentration was required.  I’m pleased to say I am now much more practised and I have loved being able to train regardless of the weather or light – the only issue now is to ensure I can remember how to deal with wind and gradients.
I’m very grateful to my wife and family for allowing our dining room to become my training ground through this awful weather – it won’t be long before our friends can come over for dinner again.

Have  you tried a ‘rolling road’ ?  How did you get on ?

Please join us in support of Great Ormond Street Hospital




2 comments:

  1. A quote from Paul Kimmage's book. IT'S ALL ABOUT MORALE. WITH WEAK LEGS AND A GOOD HEAD, YOU CAN GO A LONG WAY. WITH GOOD LEGS AND A WEAK HEAD YOU GO NOWHERE. Dont let the size of the challenge become a problem, you do it bit by bit, day by day. Good luck and may the wind be at your backs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, we'l remember that - especially on the mountains !

    ReplyDelete