Cheque Presentation

Cheque Presentation
Presenting the Cheque to Catherine Sheard and Sarah Canniford at Great Ormond Street Hospital

Friday 31 May 2013

Peter's training is over, now the main event !

Training for this cycle has proved difficult for all of us - the weather has been terrible.  Matt and Foz have both been sensible and opted for rollers.  Unfortunately, I wasn't as sensible and my bad weather training has been spent riding on a very old and creaky exercise bike !  It has got its benefits though - I don't have to worry about my balance, I can concentrate on something else at the same time - even have a cup of tea ;-}  Sometimes the old fashioned ways have benefits.  It does, however, mean that that I haven't been training on MY bike - you don't see many exercise bikes able to ascend mountains do you - or the flat for that matter !  Other things concerned me too, like not being able to practise gear changes etc, however, simulating gradients is slightly easier with the simple addition of some books - you can't do that on a rolling road.  At least I could get the exercise and the miles in.

When I was able to get out in the open air, most of my training was divided between two areas.  I live in Twickenham and so could be seen cycling anywhere and everywhere in the Twickenham, Richmond, and Hammersmith locations.  A particular favourite of mine, is cycling in Richmond Park.  It is so beautiful in there, enjoying the scenery, the deer, feeling like you're not cycling alone, exchanging respectful glances with other cyclists.  If you are ever in the Richmond area take some time to check it out.  Even cycling around it umpteen times as I have in training, it never loses its appeal.

My other location of choice is the amazing cycling destination of the Isle of Wight.  For any cyclists out there who haven't yet ventured over there, take a weekend out and go and explore.  It is easily accessible from Yarmouth, Cowes an Ryde as a foot/cycle passenger and then off you go - explore !  The round the island route is sign posted so you shouldn't get lost.  We were lucky a couple of weekends with the weather and  Team Fozball were able to cycle together - great fun.  See our Isle of Wight blogs for ideas of routes etc.

Isle of Wight Weekend
Isle of Wight Revisited

So excited about the start now, 1 sleep to go !

Where are your training locations when preparing for a cycling tour ?

No comments:

Post a Comment